Parents and Honour!

Hello, I hope your midweek is going on well? Mine has been great! I was out for a training -  yes, the one that made me blog again, lol.



Yesterday, I was at a corpers' forum for House on the Rock corp members in Enugu and at the forum we discussed 'HONOUR'. The speaker, Dr. Babatunde the president of Rock Corpers said a lot and I wasn't paying attention (🙈  I was typing yesterday's post actually) I think that should pass for dishonouring the president, right?



As I was busy with the post, my ears captured some things and I can remember recalling these things and falling into deep thoughts.
One of the things that struck me was that obeying our parents do not necessarily mean we honour them. There is more to honouring our parents than doing everything they want us to. There are little actions and gestures that go a long way to show how much we honour our parents.



Some are from broken homes and take sides with a parent thereby neglecting the other as far as forgetting that they exist, they do not realize that they need to resist living the negative past and press forward in their relationship with both parents cos the blessing that follows honouring your parents can 'burst your head' - Ephesians 6:2-3, meanwhile the opposite could be deadly.


Most children don't place their parents as priorities on their call lists or send them cards, gifts and the likes, we wait for them to get old before we know they need the attention. I for one don't call my parents consistently cos I feel in three to four days they'd call me. Sometimes they call and we just rant and tell them what we are going through and don't care to ask how they are doing, what they ate, where they went to, how their project is going etc. Most of us stay away from home for a long time and don't feel the need to pay a visit for one reason or the other.
I have been away from home as a result of work and my service year for about two years now and I don't think I ever sent money home for some bill or even mere provision. Yeah I know that I don't earn a lot and I'm just trying to get established as a young adult but if its just some fund enough to handle sugar or groundnut oil monthly or send some amount for the subscription of the decoder or get them airtime or something, it really goes a long way.



They remember these little gestures of ours and bless us from the depths of their hearts.
Some of us don't even remember our grandparents, we don't call them let alone visit them on our own except mum and dad orders that we come along..........




We should remember what the Bible says about our folks and live everyday to benefit from their blessings. Life could be way easier for us if we are conscious to honour our parents.
Respectfully disagree, patiently listen, freely forgive, regularly contact, faithfully visit, generously assist, consistently love, gently correct, fondly reminisce... These and more are things we should exhibit in honouring them and not just them but everyone around us who deserves it.




Thanks for reading and please pass the word!! ✌

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Wait!

I Stand With Dez and Friends!

The worst things we were told about Youth Service.