The worst things we were told about Youth Service.


Recently, I laid on my bed and reminisced my service year so far. With just a month and some couple of days to go all I envisage is me back to work as a sales consultant or me serving in an African Union member state as a youth volunteer.
As I laid thinking over the years gone by as a corp member serving this country(Nigeria), a lot of things came to mind and interestingly one of them was 'The worst things I ever heard about the youth service'.




I had graduated in 2015 and wouldn't be mobilized until the end of 2016, luckily for me I got a job and didn't have to roam about or figure out what to do and so when NYSC(National Youth Service Corp) came creeping it was normal to hear things even when you didn't ask for opinions and trust me people always had one or two. There were a lot and I would share as many as I remember then you will decide which is the worst......Leggo!!


  • The first thing I was told was that I don't need NYSC and that it was crap. Just like me I know a lot of you were also told that the service year was a real waste of time. This placed me in a state of dilemma as I didn't know if to waive it or not. Who has got the luxury of time to waste one year? But I tell you what, the service year has been a significant phase in my personal development, it has not just widened my horizon but has also toughened me up for life's challenges. Yeah, I was anxious about it at the beginning but thank God I was able to keep my mind from being corrupted from the things I heard, I kept an open mind about it and was ready to make the best out of it no matter what - though it wasn't a smooth ride but right now I can confidently say "I'm not who I used to be" and "I've met the most important people in my life".
  • Another thing I was told which thrived then was that when I begin service, I should wear my khaki most times but considering how most khakis make one look horrible, I should at least wear the cap or jungle boot for it provides opportunities and gateways. For gateways maybe just at police checkpoints but I didn't see the opportunities, the most times people were harsh and mean to me were days I wore the khaki or something that identified me as a corp member. Transport was higher, deals were non-negotiable, people looking with disdain (especially when you walk in group), no free lifts. I couldn't always wait to pull off the khaki cos it looked like it was making people uncomfortable.


  • We were told that we need to prepare our mind as we are leaving home for a regimented life in camp and that the camp life was created deliberately stressful to prepare us for any challenge that may confront us during the service year. I have not applied anything I learnt in camp o......how has the parade ground exercise helped me to confront anything after camp? Those who were in martial arts were not able to defend my friend when they snatched her phone, the band πŸ˜’....?
  • In preparation for the orientation program we were told to have ten photocopies each of our call up letter, statement of result and school ID card and 30 copies of our passport. The extra copies are laid under my pots and plate basket in the cupboard cos just three to four copies of my documents were needed and just five passports were used.
  • This one was really painful, we were made to know that certain states were paying corp members a tangible amount and most people made their choices of state based on this information,I for one picked four states that would pay me above #10,000 for I had made calculations but unfortunately the state i was deployed to was facing recession, they paid less than 10% of my expectationπŸ˜“
A lot of other things were told us but I'd stick with these for this post. I'd leave you to decide which of them is the worst in the comment box, you could also add what you were told or heard....

Comments

  1. My brother i support all your points. I think we should help the prospective corp members to understand this

    ReplyDelete
  2. The harsh treatment of corps members is very annoying and unfair... I feel your pain also...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Olan on this enlightenment πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Wait!

I Stand With Dez and Friends!